Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
schwa1

Can I get a witness? Empty Can I get a witness?

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 pm
Pivotal for really understanding character is developing a process to get into their atmosphere. Context is premier.

Dream Streaming, Class 1

Instructions:

Notes: Don't skip any steps - all small gestures, sounds appease the cog. mind and help put it to sleep; tricking it into thinking that it can rest. Repeating small rituals is key. Consider time not acting, and observing others' practice with the exercise valuable learning. Be an active observer in order to absorb the exercise. We are not going to be in a place of emotion - this is not the goal. When streaming here, want to gather. This exercise is don't first in the third person, and then you switch to being observer within the context of the original subject of the dream.

Step 1) Stay in third person. Sit, relax. What level of relaxation will it take where the imagery will come easily. Want to be able to reach it every time.
Step 2) Eyes closed. Tell the recurring dream in 3rd person.
Step 3) Breath, exhale, bring finger to right temple and tap: "I wonder what I see". Wait, until mind has settled and take a panoramic view of the space. Virtually take a photograph, in one frame.
Step 4) Tap again, say "Project into the image" - Projecting your mind's eye into what Jon calls the "Power Position". You are like a camera: Where do you feel has the most potential, the most emotional impact in terms of vantage, regarding the scene/space. This is the POV.
Step 5) Wait. Settle - take right hand, and sketch, left to right vocally. Little sounds get it into your body.
Step 6) When done moving across -stay there for a second. The meat is here. Verbalize your experience as an observer who is looking from the POV of the Power Position. What are you observing through the senses? Hands are out in front of you, up, tactile, like a blind person. Total immersion. Have to become good at this to cement into the space. You are not storytelling. Can you hold the image? Then feel, move through it. This is called "Witnessing". This doesn't mean you won't get emotional experience, but the point of the exercise is not the conflict of the subjects that initially brought you into the dream. This conflict locks the characters into the hyper-specific space they occupy. We are trying to moved beyond just that. Don't judge what is there. If there are people there in the space, don't focus on them -- they are too bright in the image, and can too quickly and easily lock you in, dispelling the focus and intent you have on holding the living image of the atmosphere. What is the best angle or POV for this witness? Really allow that person to embody, but get them still, so that they can observe their own sensations.

Notes: how much effect does place have on us alone? Writers are deep in these abstract worlds. Is there a sense you can use to relocate the place, effectively, vividly, quickly? Practice. It's all about context. Time and place are the #1 element of obligation. It is easy to see the conflict - it requires no effort, takes discipline to see and sense what is around that. After a while becomes obvious what need to do. in the end have to believe you are enough and that you can get there. Trying to get to authenticity. Together this process accomplishes two things: I will do this right (righteousness), and that I will reach peace. Together they describe a tool of resolve.

Part of constipation is accepting constipation. Fighting it makes it worse. Once let go of the resistance, something shifts, loosens. Want to get to state of being receptive to impulse.

Harvest: I was not one of the people who went, but I found it equally beneficial to walk through the process with the actor who was working. Jeff said he experienced difficulty with the exercise at times, but in terms of sensations in myself, I found his descriptive streaming really taking me into the environment. I felt significant chilliness on my neck and spine, I felt a sort of ominousness in the space, and the visual was clear. I found myself strangely enamored by floodlight that were being shot into the speakers and metal rafters above the stage, where they met the velvet curtain. I was physically uncomfortable in the space, but these sensations were valuable. This particular exercise really gives that picture in picture in picture vibe. I started reading recently short stories by Flannery O'Connor. If you haven't please, please check them out. The way she describes things visually is so vivid, such that I've never encountered writing that so quickly creates images for me in my mind's eye. There's a story specifically (read if you can) called "The Geranium" (link: https://biblioklept.org/2014/02/24/the-geranium-flannery-oconnor/). In it, the character is always watching this guy from across the alley hang his geranium every morning. There's something about the picture-in-picture that resonates with this exercise.

I look forward to working tonight. Also, if you are interested, the plant I described during class that can be used for dreaming is called Mugwort - Artemesia Vulgarius. It grows many places and is often abundant. It tends to grow in places that have been trampled upon a lot, like the ends of driveways, as well as river beds. I picked some recently and hung it to dry near my door. You can place it in your pillowcase and you'll dream for sure. .

Josh

geoffreyculbertson likes this post

Jonmenick

Can I get a witness? Empty Re: Can I get a witness?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:14 am
Thanks for posting the steps. Perfect. I copied it!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum