Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris Fuller

Now it's crystal clear... Empty Now it's crystal clear...

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:02 am
Jon I have said it before, The way you are teaching now is so perfect for people like me who have never acted before. One reason is you have found a way to break down lessons like the whole idea of imaging for dramatic improv. I remember the first time I took it with you. When we did that class, we didn't nearly go as deep as we are now. In the process you are opening up other lessons. When I took sense streaming, I remember trying to see how to use this at a deeper level. I knew that we were learning this for in respect to auditions, but I knew their was a deeper level I was not getting. Like you have said you should take a class twice. I can see why now.

Tonight's class Jon had use keep working on environment. We used sense work to get in to our environment. Jon showed us something that I had not thought of. That one of the first things we want to do when we work with improv or stream is to go to vision. We are conditioned to start their, we have forgot that their are five senses. One way Jon showed us to do this work is to work the other senses first. Let the event come to you though your sense of smell or hearing. I get what he is talking about. I will need practice with this. One thing I had a problem with is getting my mind still, it was working against me trying to pull me away. Like a lot of the work we do, I also didn't quite get where we were going in this. After Jon talked to a few people, and started getting feed back. I could see what we were trying to get to. I hope Jon you mean it when you said we wouldn't move on till we get this. I think with some practice the benefits will be enormous. I had moments where I had a feeling come in, like the thunderstorms one Jon gave us. On Friday I want to dinner at a little pizza place in wast Asheville. As I was sitting their, it stated to rain for the second time that day, it was about dusk, and I was sitting in by a window. It was great to just sit their and take it all in. It has a feeling about it. That is one of the things Jon has also taught me, just let it come. And what comes it just right for you.

Some more lessons from tonight;

When doing this work don't make a narrative of your memory. All we are looking for is the feeling you get with this.

When we work let the senses speak first. We are trying to get a sense of the scene.

When you are working with sense, you are trying to get a feeling, and for it to trigger something.

This work doesn't come from seeing, it comes from your other senses.

Thanks to Jon clarifying this. I gets better every time I am in class.

P.S. I am going to try to post now on the same night we take the class. I want to see how it effects my post.
Jonmenick

Now it's crystal clear... Empty Re: Now it's crystal clear...

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am
Well, the effect here is much more from the heart and not so technical. Perhaps this is a good way for you to post.
Chris Fuller

Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:43 pm
I think you are right. I also see how having a little time can help too. I got the lesson last night, I just down have the best way to get it down in the forum.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum