Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
joycewood

the other 4 Empty the other 4

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 pm
In tonight‘s class Jon started with notes about how we are relying too much on our visual sense and we need do use all senses
it’s better when we’re triggered from something other than a visual cue
we can have a more personal relationship with the space when we do - Jon reminded us we can stream a little before an audition

tonight we’re going to move from memory to triggers we’ve never had before and keep grounded through that sense
and also Jon's note- better if you enter through a sense other than visual
when you’re creating an environment we can keep a sound bed catalogue to tap into anytime
tonight we’re gonna work on sensory triggers using senses to open the door to a place

First we shut our eyes don’t open our eyes or until were told to
stay with the sensory image or feeling
we start with the single sense and then bring in others
don’t visualize till John tells us
let my eyes open slightly and don’t let it become too narrative

some of the triggers I remember were -
salt water
Roaring fire
ice cream
smell of perfume
distant music
mountain breeze
musty
body heat of another

Jon noted actors have to be primal as it leads to experiencing it genuinely
and it’s easier to get to the visual sometimes by starting with one of the other senses
we can ask ourselves what the sense is you need to explore to bring it back
let that happen first then go into dream
all this has to do with creating place/time and important to experience the sense first -then let the panoramic view unfold and let things fall in and allow the senses to enter wherever you are

We started with a very deep meditation and then Jon started the exercise asking us to close our eyes and he gave us triggers to work with
I shared some of my reactions to a few of them - two stood out keenly at the time

when I was hearing the fire I went to the fire pit at the farm and tried to focus on crackling sounds, the visual kicked in and I could see the large stones surrounding the fire and then the wooden log I was sitting on - BUT the real kicker/surprise came when I smelt "cookout" and thought "is someone cooking out now in my neighborhood?" guess that was a secondary sense that awoke
The next one was the ice cream taste - with my raging sweet tooth I could feel those glands under your jaw stimulate/get triggered!
What I learned from these exercises was that the visual will kick in later so don't worry
It was harder to reach the distant music cuz I kept going back and forth to a concert and somethong else (cant remember!)

MEdwardsen likes this post

Jonmenick

the other 4 Empty Re: the other 4

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:38 am
We need to work Sense Streaming again and nail it.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum