Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
nessnowik

I have a confession Empty I have a confession

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:42 pm
I really enjoyed this past class! Although I do feel it could’ve been better, I still had so much fun! I have to admit something though, due to my excessive need to be perfect, I usually tend to plan and that’s where I falter. As soon as I become subconscious about what I’m doing it comes off inauthentic, I mean … I even feel that as I’m performing. However, these past few classes I have been practicing a state of relaxation for myself (maybe a bit too much falln asleep in class)… aka…. GIVING LESS FUCKS about being perfect and I actually feel that that it felt more natural than it has ever felt. It’s so interesting, I haven’t quite figured out a way to get it into words but it just felt … better. Some tips that Jon shared with us that is the #1 most helpful is to establish atmosphere and environment and to allow these lements to reveal themselves, and there was one other but I missed that one.

So for my experience, my persona was a mixture of Ariana Grande and myself. The improv was that I had done a very bad thing and I am in a confessional speaking with a priest. It’s funny how Jon asked if anyone was catholic and totally set me up! Hahaha 😊 As soon as Jon said confessional I immediately remembered St. Aloysius, the catholic church my family attended and also the school I went to for grades 1 and 2. So, I am very familiar with what the inside of a confessional looks like and what was interesting to me was that as the environment was building around me I noticed (and so did Jon) that I momentarily lost my persona. It makes complete sense now that the reason why Jon wants us to take our time to allow the imagery of our environment to be fully there before we start talking is because the without it being solid, the acting/ improv will be lost. Jon also gave a great tip that I should become more comfortable utilizing, he said to use something to establish place and example of that is to say, “how’s the tea”, if say you were having a conversation with a friend in your house. It is useful to make a subtle activity or entrance that helps establish place and scenario without making it into a show. I can’t remember who but someone asked a great question to define the fine line between indicating and showing. It’s less important what the difference is but rather the activities that you use must be indicative of where you are and what you’re doing. I really enjoyed this class and found it to be enlightening to some of the questions that I have struggled with. Thanks for reading!
Jonmenick

I have a confession Empty Re: I have a confession

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:13 am
Keep collecting and practicing the concepts. Remember, enter into the THIN THING before class so that you have access to your full power. It will really help you .
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum