Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
mollypegram

The Intersection Empty The Intersection

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:30 am
I missed you guys last week, I really wanted to be there but I also needed to take time for my honeymoon. I read up on the discussion posts, and I really loved seeing how the emphasis for now has been placed on focusing every sense besides vision. I can see how vision can be less connected, and using the other senses can easily get us out of our head and connected to that specific place. Picking out the specific sounds, smells, and feeling of the place is also important in order to stay rooted and not wander somewhere else. I love that we are taking our time with this. I would much rather slowly acquire the skills for this work then rush into it and not be able to do it properly and miss what the stream has to unlock and discover.
For this class, we brought back the space in the dream we’ve been working on. Go to your symbol and look around to see something that’s important.
We focused on seeing the people that were there. They are not moving around, but they are still figures like in a photograph. We picked one person, zoomed in on them and got up close enough to be able to feel and smell them. My dream space is in the garage, and I thought that I was the only person in the dream. I won’t try to dissect and harvest too much here before the next class because I still have to stream and harvest, but I saw another person in the dream when looking from my power spot.
Getting to see Diana’s work was so powerful and filled with learning and teaching moments. Because she would question if what she was seeing was legit, we were all able to see the need to not overanalyze the work once we are at this stage. The work has all been done, we are not seeing dinosaurs or anything unrealistic or unrelated to the script. The credit card that she saw was huge for putting the pieces together. Everything else had meaning too, and I got excited when I noticed that everything fit together, you just have to have the patience to see, then stream, then harvest and discover who she is. We get to see something about the character that no one else will see. Who knew that she was from the south? That she is insecure. How does she sound? How does she move? Because this is in her pocket, what does that say about her? A breakup would cause her to be seen like this, without makeup, going out at night. If you are playing the role, you can’t let anything from the stream just sit there. You have to use it. “What ifs” give you the most power as you enter the dream.
The skillsets – after you stream, harvest everything together; leave no stone unturned, no stray hair, no loose ends. Put it all together.
Always, constantly be asking: How does that make it better? Examine everything that you choose.
This is why we don’t make those choices when first reading the script.
I loved hearing and discovering that yes, there is an intersection between the character and yourself. I have always thought that there can be no shred of molly in any of my work, except for my essence that seeps through naturally. But because we have been disconnected from the character during the script work without jumping or grabbing at the character, we are now able to be in the perfect creative, subconscious space that we don’t have to worry or overthink what we discover in the stream. All that we know is what we know, and often that plays a part in what we see. This will be unique from anyone else, even if they do know how to stream like we do. So no matter what, your stream and your choices on the character will be interesting, creative, informed, and unique. We no longer have to worry about having an audition just like everyone else’s. You are all that is unique to the work. But when you see it, that is hers now. No judgment.
“The more you dig in, the less intimidating this girl is.” I now have a connection to her.
The director wants to work with something juicy. We can have that.
Get the core, you don’t have to strain. Let it sit with you and keep asking questions the next day after your first stream (if you have time). If it’s necessary, keep streaming on what you find – maybe go to her bedroom later.
What if – your key words into anything
“When you get good, you can get a world in five minutes.”
The objective for every time that you work is that they’ve never seen anything like that before. But they feel like it belongs. And you will start to build trust between you and that casting director.

dianadamato likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum