Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris Fuller

Making it real to you. Empty Making it real to you.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 am
Tonight's class reminded me that I can do it. We started working with the streaming work we have been doing. For class we used Annette's harvest from her work. First off great work Annette, your harvest rocked. She gave us so much to work with. As she described her person, I could start to see the young girl form. Along the way Jon would ask her for a little more info here and their. This gave us the info to work with. When she was finished, Jon made sure we had written down everything she had said. Then He put us into two groups. With Annette going between them.

When we started to work with what she gave us we were looking for a few things. We were looking for contrast, conflict, and to let a story come out of that.

One of the first things we found was she was in a state of transitioning from a girl to more grownup. When we started looking at her objects, we found she two objects that got our attention. They were two coins, one was a 1984 penny, and the other was a 1997 quarter. This is something you can work with, when you do the math it comes out to be 13 years. Which would make sense that she is growing up, and transitioning. We also noticed some of the names in the little note book she had, Jonathan Myers. At first we did know how to fully use this. As we were doing the analysis Jon pointed out the girls name was Janelle Campbell. That was a big clue, her name is Scottish, and his is Jewish. That is "CONTRAST" if their is any.

The next thing that we found is, from what Annette was saying about her physical appearance. At one level she had the markings of a tomboy, but she was in a nice dress, and she had used cleaning products that had various scents in it. It looks like she was dressing up for someone to meet with them.

With this info we were able to theorize she was going to meet someone. It could be the Jonathan person. Why did she want to? We found that out from the things in her purse she had a charm bracelet in it. It was of the empire state building. This told us that she might want to get out of the little town she has grown up in, and see the world. She doesn't want the life planned out for her. Jonathan might be from NYC, and can help her get there.

After doing this work a clear picture of who she is comes out. You can start to build a character out if this, and know who they are. This coupled with the script analysis gives us a complete picture of who this is. We will be able to do so much more with the character than someone who didn't do this. As Jon said there is so much cheese with this.

I see now where we were going with this. I will have to work with this more to unlock it fully. I can't wait for the next block where we will be working with scripts.

As we were doing the work that night I had the realization of why Jon tells us to start in the cognitive and move to the creative. You have to know what you are acting towards first, then you have to make it real to you.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum