Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
joycewood

want some cheese Empty want some cheese

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:10 pm
So it was an exceptional class tonight
Jon noted we're starting to close the loop and see how it pertains to a script and can be used to illuminate layers and intimate connections with characters
also there’s a definite process to the prized "cheese"

Annette started her streaming and provided us with rich details about a young 12-year-old girl -nail biter, skinned knee, brown sandals ,gangly Band-Aid on middle finger, beaded bracelet, dirty feet ,but she’s wearing a dress and has a big bow in her hair, also smells like vanilla and like she sprayed raspberry cologne on her self
setting - in the summer by a lake -possibly an Airbnb- she had some treasures -a coin purse with a strip of paper and Jonathan Myers name on it, new quarter dated 1997 a charm with a tall building, a dirty penny 1984 ,very small round watch with broken clasp didn’t work, lollipop stuck to bazooka paper ,a little notebook with the names Annie, Cora and Jonathan- believe her name was Jenelle Campbell

John divided us into two groups and gave us 20 minutes to try to piece together the puzzle that would lead us to her profile
I really liked working with others sharing ideas
we used the evidence to piece together our drama, coming of age romance story - Young girl dressed up to meet Jonathan at the lake wearing an attention getting bow in her hair- nervous risking rejection if he doesn’t like her
but we failed to notice the last names Campbell and Myer to grab the cheese

Jon noted Campbell was Scottish and Myer possibly German or Jewish and with that twist -getting together would be a forbidden love -perhaps she’s small town, wants to go to New York City ,Meyer represents aspiration -to move to the city she dreams of - New York -

Jon noted - sum up the life/death situation in one or two words
for her it would’ve been aspiration

Also, when you have conflicting objects like the names it’s a place where you can look for the cheese -only thing in movies are conflicted characters -find simple conflicts and keep digging

we’re combining script analysis and process - the streaming provides planting my harvest -I’ve got to remember to look at all the pieces of evidence
Can't ask for what you want but let it present itself -also can’t ask for the conflict

it can take more than one stream to get the details you need
once you get the cheese you can stop -more stuff will come automatically to you
,and now creating a profile for a character that does not come from our memory -but it has all been so worth it
this was an excellent class to bring all the components together
I can see the value in working this process to find layers to a character and look forward to applying it to scripts
next time I really want to get the cheese

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum