Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
mollypegram

Away from the cliché Empty Away from the cliché

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:22 pm
This class was so important because we have come to a point where we can intersect our detective abilities that are mastered in script analysis/audition process 2 with our ability to see and experience places and people in image streaming. This is not quite to the script yet, but it seems very close. Everything is coming together, and I don’t remember being more excited than this. And that says a lot because I get excited about a lot of things in class.

Streaming creates a connection for us from the script to the character. You need both instinct and intellect. This is both discovery and detective work. When you get an image, don’t question it. Accept that you cannot drive yourself out of the work.
We need to get to the same places that writers, directors use – image-based creativity. This is so important because we can speak and understand their level of commitment and vision for the project. So what we need to practice now is in the detective work.
There’s nothing wrong with trusting yourself, but you have to be able to bring it home. Make it a personal relationship with the character. You have to KNOW them, at least have a sense of them. You need to have faith – my instincts are good enough to do this. I can allow my experiences to happen in real time AND it makes sense. Moving into a character that doesn’t exist takes faith, but based in a text. A script as in the Bible, this is not foreign to us.
The trick – a quote will be given; from there an inference is made.
There is nothing you can assert that is not born out of the object.

This class, we got to be detectives. For the one doing the work, project yourself onto your knees with the objects at your feet, right in front of the person you worked with. Use all of your senses and your hands, as if you are on them. You can smell, feel, sense, and taste.
I took about two whole pages of notes frantically trying to catch everything that Tanya was revealing. Once we got into the groups, we had questions for her. I tried to focus my questions a into specific focus that would reveal more about who she is. The environment around her is important, and we have done that work. But at this stage, having her revealed is what we need to do to get to the “cheese.” I remember doing this same thing back in Bridge a couple years ago, but we were “creating” the What ifs out of the script alone. We would ask so many questions, but there wasn’t as much to work with because we only had the script in front of us. We got some pretty good stuff out of that, and now with streaming, there is going to be endless possibilities, and one of them is going to have some good cheese. Probably some squeaky fresh, interesting cheese curds.
When we came back into a big group, everything needed to be backed and supported by what Tanya experienced. It all ended up fitting together, which is amazing in itself. Our group was asking the right questions and getting really close to the “cheese,” but we were so close that we were dancing around it. From this, I learned the importance of not stopping, but asking more What Ifs. What if the coin wasn’t from AA? What if it was a different group that she could go for support? What did she have a deep longing for? Community. She felt alone and was lonely, yes, but what was her deep desire?
I also loved to hear how the other group put the profile together because their interpretation also absolutely worked, even though it was a bit different from ours. This was an eye-opening moment because it shows that even if another actor has the exact same stream as you (which is unlikely, especially since they probably have no clue what streaming is), there is a good chance you will come up with something completely unique to you AND germane to the script that is interesting and exciting to watch unfold in an audition.
This all comes 360. The obvious answer is usually only half the tank. Then ask – WHAT IF?? Asking the what if questions when you feel like stopping helps give you more options to see what works. Turn the other direction and see if it gives you more sauce. You sometimes have to throw some crap in the air to see if it sticks. If you get something interesting from your stream, like an Australian dialect, don’t discount it. Use it, especially for the characters that we usually get.
Claim whatever you see as enough. There is no one on earth like her, she just hopes that someone could understand.
Stick to what’s there, like script analysis. Use the muscle we’ve already developed. This all fits together – script analysis, streaming, character building.
If the story seems to follow a particular pattern, ask yourself, What If?
Writers don’t have time to flesh out these smaller characters. They don’t know what they’re looking for. You are not imposing by creating something interesting. You are solving their problem.
Turn away from the cliché.

joycewood likes this post

Jonmenick

Away from the cliché Empty Re: Away from the cliché

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 am
What a great read. Tonight we go at it again!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum