Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
chaia

Get to the “cheeze” Empty Get to the “cheeze”

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:04 pm
Get to the cheeze

Notes:
—we are building an Internet connection with a figurative character.
—if you have “touched “ her, imagery comes to you.
—stick to objects and descriptions of character.
—Every deduction we make has a connection/source.
 — what is stirring and connected.
— when you go for the obvious, an assertion that’s convenient, turn the opposite way and ask “what if.“

—what you want to find is what presents itself.
—you will know what details matter.

in this exercise, we project into the dream and get up close with the person. 
Annette streamed and did a great job!
She described in detail the smell and look of this girl.

“Don’t look at the object like it’s in your hand but in your head. Let it come to you. “

we took notes on everything Annette said about the scenario.
then we got into a breakout group to discuss the specific circumstance.
it was nice to have a group to brainstorm with.

our task: tie together a story that uncovers her. find the important clues that lead to the character, the other details are supporting, to uncovering her motives, heart, psycho emotional state.
 *find one or two word core of life and death.

I feel I/we did go with what was obvious because the obvious was that she was going to meet Jonathan even though our whole group hadn’t settle on that at first.

Annette had told us she had a disposition of guilt yet defiance (which we found out is assumptive and is not helpful for the detail)
but that led me to believe that it is more of a forbidden love, and she is doing some thing that her strict, conservative parents would disapprove of (I guessed that Honathon was quite older than her.)

The details I felt mattered most were that she had
sleeveless dress with flowers, bites her fingernails, skinned left knee like a tomboy, cord with tiny key necklace, 30 feet, the phone number of Jonathan, facing a window, watch with a broken strap, notebook with the names and doodles.

I did feel that the skyscraper charm was an ambition of hers, especially since we learned she was in the country at the time.
I felt I had an understanding of who she was as a person and what she was doing.
(coming of age, into her femininity yet still being a tomboy, wanting to be liked by a guy, being a dreamer, not wanting to live the status quo or what is expected of her)

The key parts that I did not observe/missed-
that the quarter year might mean the year that it took place and that this might be a memory piece or flashback. 
And the LAST NAMES. I have no idea where some last names come from honestly so that never occurred to me.
Additionally, as a class, we deduced that the Watch symbolized a conventional life/past and that Jonathan was from the city and she sees him as a means to her dreams.

we had decided (before the breakout) as a class that the genre was drama, coming of age, romance. The idea that it is a memory piece is very cool and fitting.

an important reminder that we had was that movies have characters that are conflicted, even supporting roles. 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum