Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
geoffreyculbertson

Symbolic Awareness Empty Symbolic Awareness

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:24 pm

I had a break though in my understanding of streaming last night. I few of my thoughts today...

If we understand the subconscious state to be closer in some way to the source of limitless creative power than the conscious state and that the realm of the subconscious articulates itself through symbols, we would need to begin to learn this language of symbols in order to read this realm. Our goal is intentionally narrow in focus: looking for a character. We are searching for an animating principle, a unique driving force embedded deep in the psyche of an individual that motivates there every action: an archetype. The symbols discovered through the streaming process articulate a concept that is experienced as a primal emotion and can be folded into the actors work as the predominate psycho-emotional state of the character. Through the streaming process we look for mental objects or information in order to discover the unique vibration of the character. The problems in this work that need to be investigated...that I need to delve into...wrestle with are as follows 1. The proper state in which to receive information 2. The proper method of analyzing and understanding the information gathered. 3. The proper way to channel this information into performance.
1. The proper state in which to receive information from the subconscious realm is receptive and focused. A mental posture of non-judgmental curiosity: unfolding, revealing, unveiled, open, passive are some associated ideas. Where awareness shifts, the creative source follows. Building a mental structure with ‘Anchors’ allows for the subconscious to interact. Without specificity nothing will happen, but with focused intention the creative source will respond. A metaphor: A radio must have a working antenna (the receptive aspect of the instrument), but also a dial (the focused aspect of the instrument) in order to receive a transmission.
2. The proper method of analyzing mental objects is through a purely symbolic reading. If we understand the subconscious realm as a shared mind or collective awareness all information concerning the human condition arising from the subconscious would therefore be highly distilled or condensed under the pressure of all human experience throughout all time in all people. When streaming, look for how the scene and character are all articulating the same thing. Find one word to encapsulate that sentiment. It will be a multifaceted concept and experience as a complex primal emotion. We are miners of the subterranean realm, searching to adorn ourselves with precious gems made brilliant by the weight of time.
3. Channeling this archetypal source energy through a character demands that you build a contextual realm using the obligations of the script and to be attuned into this archetypal/primal frequency. Like a stain glassed window, the circumstances of the script are the colored panes of glass and the essence of the character is the illuminating light that brings it to life.

Chris Fuller likes this post

Chris Fuller

Symbolic Awareness Empty Re: Symbolic Awareness

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:47 pm
This is the place I hope to get to in the next few years. I though this type of work will be able to be someone that is head and shoulders above the rest.
Jonmenick

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:41 am
Yes, yup, and holy fudge sickle, this is a keeper post on steroids!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum