Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris Fuller

Gibberish says so much. Empty Gibberish says so much.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:07 pm
Tonight's class brought back a oldie but a goodie, gibberish. I remember the first time I had to work with it. I had a problem with trying to get it right, you heard me, get it right. That was back when I thought about acting in a entirely different light. This time when I worked with it, Jon had us use it in a different way. He started by getting us loosened up by having us make animal sounds, and actions. The first time we went I didn't get the part about the animal being in distress. After that I did much better. Jon gave me a dog when I went. After we did that exercise, Jon gave us a new one. This time he wanted us to recite the pledge of allegiance. As I went I could feel that I had to think about what I was going to say before I made it into gibberish. This was exactly what he wanted. The final exercise was us describing each other. The one problem I had there was the one I had the first time I did this, it was actually making gibberish. I think it stems from the fact that with my mom being a teacher, and the fact of my learning disability. I think that speaking properly has become a very important thing for me. Once again this leads to the fact that I never have played with it.

The way Jon has taught this has made it clear that we don't need to spend our time talking our way though a audition. When you improv your way into a audition, you can just flow into it without even trying. It can also make us really connect with the words we are speaking. This was exactly the lesson I needed tonight. I feel so much freer to do this work. I don't have a fear of failure.

Final thought; a audition is like a blank canvas, it is yours to paint and bring to life. Using improv makes it easier to do. Very Happy

laurenrivas likes this post

Jonmenick

Gibberish says so much. Empty Re: Gibberish says so much.

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:04 am
Right on the head, Chris!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum