Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ahobbs

My Harvest - Where Did It All Come From Empty My Harvest - Where Did It All Come From

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:08 pm
Dreams Part 3 continued July 23, 2020

Notes from Jon.
As the person/people analyzing the character:
Make nothing that is not in the objects or the character description.
Make no assumptions.
Write detailed notes.
If there is something obvious turn in the opposite direction and ask “what if?”
Find the life or death for the character.
Notes from the witness are the bible.

This was my turn to be a witness in my dream. I started by finding my person again. When I left them last class they were 8-10 years old and I didn’t have a clear focus if they were a boy or girl. This time it was clearly a girl and she grew into a teenager right before my eyes. She was 14 years old with long brown wavy hair. Her hair smelled of vanilla and her body smelled like she had used raspberry mist. She was just beginning to develop a waist and her knees were knobby. She wore a simple print dress with a flowered print and she had a hair clip shaped like a butterfly. She had a hand-made bracelet made of cord with knots and a few beads. Just as important to note is what is missing, she did not have earrings and no piercings. She had a cord around her neck with a small key. She had a band-aid on one of her fingers and one knee was skinned. It was obvious she bites her finger nails. She was in a room like the lobby of a B&B with lots of windows. A few people were in the background. Outside there were trees, a lake and you could hear children playing. She was shifting her weight from side-to-side, like she was impatient to be somewhere.

The objects were:
A notebook with Jannel Campbell on the outside and on the inside 3 names: Annie, Coria and Jonathan
A piece of paper with the hand written name Jonathan Meyer
A small coin purse of tooled leather
A new quarter dated 1997
An old penny dated 1984
A partially eaten sucker (purple) wrapped in a Bazoka bubble gum paper
A charm of a skyscraper building like the empire state building
An old, small watch with a broken band

Genre: Drama, Romance, Coming-of-Age

Jon’s direction:
Find the thing that has the most importance. What are her motives, her psycho-emotional state.
Circumstances, Objectives and Paradigm

Each group came up with some valid things. I found when was answering questions that I would close my eye (or almost) and re-see what I had seen a few minutes. I still don’t know where all of it came from.

Jon’s Warnings: Don’t go into this activity to build the story. Both groups did that. Let the story emerge. Also, don’t go directly into deciding the psycho-emotional state let it be discovered.

Analysis:
One-word Theme: Aspiration
She may feel she doesn’t have the freedom to see the empire state building or date a boy like Jonathan, because of their ethnic backgrounds. Her life is already planned out for her.
However, she is a risk taker, exhibits personal bravery. (skinned knee and band-aid on her finger.)
The penny represented the year she was born 1984 and today’s year is the year of the quarter 1997. The time-line of the story is 1984-1997.
Then this becomes a Memory Piece

It is still amazing that all harvesting from my imagination but it is equally surprising are all the meanings that have been derived from the objects and physical attributes of the place and character.

MEdwardsen likes this post

Jonmenick

My Harvest - Where Did It All Come From Empty Re: My Harvest - Where Did It All Come From

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:45 am
Meaning is the path to art!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum