Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
mikeperlowski

Improv 8/3 Empty Improv 8/3

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am
We started out this class with an animal improv, where we were given an animal and had to immediately have a reaction under extreme stress conveyed with body language and animal noises. It was pretty fun but my dog absolutely hated it. From there we went into a lesson on gibberish

Gibberish
- forming words that are not our own language (or any other) that are connected to something you're actually trying to say
- the words have to mean something and maintain their meaning
- must come spontaneously from the actor and show: mood, problem, relationship, character

After a bit of talking we each had to say the first line of the pledge of allegiance in our own gibberish language, as if we were speaking at the UN to people who didn't know the language. This was interesting because it's words that are ingrained in probably all of us, so we could focus on conveying "translated" words. Following this we were broken out into groups to describe our partner which I spectacularly failed at (don't worry Lauren, I was going to say nice stuff). I got a little too in my head trying to keep track of my gibberish word meanings, not repeat the same sounds over and over, and not lapse back into my absolutely perfect C+ 7th grade Spanish.

Jon mentioned some ways to create good gibberish such as:
- use as many different sounds as you can
- exaggerate mouth movements
- vary your tone
- try gum chewing movements
- maintain your normal speaking rhythm
- and just let the gibberish flow even if you're not 100% on the previous things

In closing I would like to say that this was a fun class and I don't ALWAYS wear polos, Lauren, just... every time we've been partnered
Jonmenick

Improv 8/3 Empty Re: Improv 8/3

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:58 am
Very fun post!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum