Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
joycewood

crystalized moment Empty crystalized moment

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 pm
So Jon started with important notes -when we get symbols in our streaming harvest don’t take literally -our goal is to find an archetype type
don’t need to worry about storyline
modern archetypes are more TV movie "types" but the classical archetypes are different and the ones we should be focusing on -Carl Young’s are: innocent, every man,hero, outlaw, Explorer,creator,ruler, magician, lover, caregiver, Jester and sage
also the Shakespearean archetypes relate to plays and can be important

Jon showed us how to connect an empty rusty keychain - think- how does it function ? to connect it to the character and describe the character as a non-functioning character
be clear and concise
don’t overthink
go where it takes you
watch it in our own brain
and this is actually bridge /exploration of character
and when we stream alone we should verbalize
we need to trust it with no resistance
and sometimes you may have to pull out when we feel ourselves overthinking
go with instinct as to what to go in deeper to explore
don’t dwell on things
move onto the next big bite

Once again the steps are -take three breaths to start- first breath is a deep breath- second breathe with big yawn- third take a deep breath
then close eyes
relax being in a wide angle as the witness
to arrive out of focus
just be there
when we feel we are there bring our thing right finger to our right temple and tap
when you see the character project it out as you approach and touch their forehead
you can open your eyes a little bit
touch the forehead
see my hand touching them then
we start working our character
put our hands on top of head work their hair
note the smell
look at their forehead eyebrows skin cheeks mouth jaw eyes
smell their breath
look at their teeth
their neck smell it
then go down their front
listen to the heartbeat
look at their clothing
what’s the atmosphere around them
their physicality
shoes and what they’re wearing
And then 4-5 objects

so in the stream tonight Geoffrey gave us quite a character
some of the descriptions that stood out-
intentionally scraggly
greasy black hair sweaty hair matted with filth
smell sour
waxy pale lines on his forehead very red lips
breath smells like fish sardines kind a dead
smokers teeth brown
old clothes smell like tobacco wearing cowboy bolo tie with strings and A porcelain ivory gold brooch with scene -male deer back arched shot with arrow by young naked man naked woman peeking out from trees
shallow heartbeat preparing for something
near the ocean waves rock stormy clouds Maine coast line
too thin for clothes jacket too big could be Sunday’s Best worn a long time
shoes with white laces white and brown oxford leather brown toe
half smoked cigar In his pocket a ring box red golden side green emerald ring looks expensive letters MS
folded letter -the dear John letter - I’m so sorry I can’t anymore Mary Bell was written to Daniel dated March 3, 1972

So as we discussed his description we zoomed in on some pertinent adjectives -decaying ,!despair , out of time , fall from grace , anxiety , rejection
lost his desire , exhausted , burned out without hope
Jon noted we were very close to the cheese and he gave us some clues
we looked up despair and redemption in the dictionary and agreed he’s in despair of redemption or damned

so my big take from this was we had the two big ideas -the dear John letter /rejection and then him being burned out:loss of hope
and we just needed to merge those together into one thought -in despair of redemption
so I’m getting that we have to crystallize Everything into the life or death emotion thought he has at that point in time
So my son and his girlfriend came for dinner last night and I was asked to describe my acting class!   Well as I described key points to image/sense streaming I wasn't sure if they were going to get it but they did! My sons girlfriend has a degree in sculpture and she totally got it and they loved it!

Can't say enough about how awesome this experience is - Especially our harvesting together and hearing different viewpoints -I always learn something new -still thinking this guy is an outlaw
Final favorite Jon note -our strongest tools are our imagination and life experience

MEdwardsen likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum