Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
joycewood

journeying back  Empty journeying back

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:00 pm
So John started memory streaming class telling us about the common types of imaging -
Jon's quote-if verbalizing is the language of our conscious mind and imaging is the doorway to our subconscious then streaming acts as the bridge to give language to the subconscious. Types of imaging -

involuntary -images things just jump in like daydreaming

-symbolic imaging -Sleep wake states or dreams we create symbols in our dreams-Fragmented done with Seymour impulsively we create circumstance and let streaming occur

-free association Done by design choose an image free associate no circumstance

-story imaging follow story and logical sequence to carry us through an experience examples self-love

-verbalizing imaging Audible out loud use both sides of brain

-recalled memory imagery Learned that’s recalled with both spatial and physical accuracy

-and guided imaging or facilitated imaging John will guide us and we respond through imagery eventually we won’t need guide

For homework we have to start capturing our dreams on paper
1st step - we invite the dream before we sleep -say I’ll remember my dreams
we actually don’t remember them when we’re sleeping as Jon noted our mind trails further back than in the moment so it feels like it’s been going on for a while.
2nd step -dream awareness after waking -breathe and let the dream come into focus -keep your eyes close and feel it again -it may go on a bit -connect with the senses in the dream
3rd step- turn on the light and write what you saw in the dream
for dream catching -note all parts we know for sure
some may be fragmented
place, time, characters, relationship, age,
trace the story , note any animals or objects or symbols

Our mind creates symbols constantly
Two types - subjective which refer to me and objective which refer to others
- try to identify what seems abstract
-don’t be afraid of them
-don’t use them to interpret
we’re going to use these as doorways to the subconscious -will be very powerful

For a first exercise I have to be relaxed and accept without judgment
I must have faith without self editing
I must slow down to a single frame
the power of specificity
I have to sit and wait for images to appear

Jon will ask us to bring back a memory - have to fight not to project my imagery on others as they work
We have to take a deep breath -relax - find a soft focus -tap our right finger to our temple and say I wonder what I see -I’ll see smattering of elements -I want to put myself in it -with no point of view - don’t move or look around -very important to wait get it to one single frame and freeze it also sense the building /room and breathe -invite sound smell touch taste -allow crickets and cars to make sounds -these will anchor me in the scene
I can say "I wonder what I sense"- then I point out with my right finger -before I project it out in front I see it in my mind -I see it when I’m finger tapping -it hasn’t changed -I project it out in front -then I paint left to right all the big objects I see in my mind but also it’s projected out in front of me
then in the second phase Jon will say "I wonder what you see ?" -then I will go from right to left and say out loud what I see in more detail
In the third phase Jon will say -"what was my experience like ? "-just in that space in that single frame

don’t let cognitive mind try to dictate .
imaging is just seeing things -the technical formal experience before you feel it -that’s phase 1 and 2 -we must fight to slowly see details in phase 1 and two
Jon’s harvest notes -Jon reminded us this is memory streaming and we have to stop when we lose it
we’re drawing what is there in real life as a child
allow the jungle of images to clear out and wait for things to settle
keep connected to the image
what we are streaming is what you remember
don’t try to remember but let it come

In the first and second steps we need to get as sharp as possible before being in the space or zone
for phase 3 - it’s a new reality to work with -we are pushing our self into the scene when we point our finger out in front

our mind wants to control but we must wait to be connected in the space -important to deal with the struggle of the mind trying to control
we have to surrender to the moment
we really want to feel her

For my personal harvest -there’s so much to say as it was quite extraordinary
unlike anything I’ve ever experienced and it certainly did linger for hours after class!!!
I think I lucked out going first because I didn’t have to struggle with my mind trying to control the memory for very long
I did feel it briefly but looking beyond the laptop into that unfocused zone helped me let go of that controlling feeling
When Jon said think of a memory when you were an infant -I was startled at first -could feel my mind racing a bit to put things together but I knew we lived in Miami when I was an infant
there’s so much to say -trying to condense it- i’ve been reflecting on it since class and trying to figure it out and understand how it happened because it was not planned and very real to me
-in phase 3 I had a swelling of feeling overtake me and I felt the most ferocious deep connection to my mom and dad and could feel my love of the breeze on my body - I could feel the heat and humidity and see the curtains blowing into the room
One final note from Jon -he said it's a ceremony of cojoining - and it truly felt like a transition or journeying to a new place/space in my mind and body that brought out deeply rooted feelings /memories -deep in my bones
Letting go and looking into that unfocused zone beyond the laptop -waiting for things to settle, things really did start filling in the space

Jonmenick

journeying back  Empty Re: journeying back

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:34 am
Yes, good. I think the more obscure the direction to see from me that better this may work. Thanks, Joy...ce!.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum