Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
joycewood

recognize the BEAST Empty recognize the BEAST

Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:40 pm
So I’ll start with Jon's great notes - in the subconscious we have a stack of memories - our cognitive side separates experiences to control us, protect us, and keep us average or just not important. We can’t easily access these - but everything we’ve experienced can be accessed - important because this streaming relates to all these memories and could give us the most wonderful intense emotional experience -we don’t want the left side to control !!!
Jon uses his hands and places one on top of the other. This symbolizes the creative being in control of the cognitive. Our mind has -3 functions -past present and perceived future.
We’re dealing with phases of the mind and we need to know how to deal with each -imagination is the whimsical side.
I have to understand they work together BUT I need to turn to the hollow space with creative on top of cognitive to be in a state of memory . Important Jon note to me - it’s different than remembering )don't say I remember) I
need to move out of conscious to the hollow space. Remembering does not unlock the memories for me - remember is an action verb - so that relates to the cognitive wanting to do control by offering ideas - that’s not where I want to go
When experiencing memory you actually feel things and are alive in that space
Cognitive brain is like a computer chip -only has two spaces past and future -but in the present we're experiencing in the moment . Our harvest -phase 3 -is closest to an emotional memory.
I do have power to access the stack of memory and it doesn’t have to be a full story - just a single frame is all we want in tonights exercise.
As an actor we can touch the memory of our character when working out a state of being which gives authenticity.
Can’t wait to try this

John noted his challenge right now is to get us to transition to this and understand impulse versus processing.
We need to use impulse -the only thing I know is what I’ve experience - we have to learn our own mechanism - how our brain works - we have to separate and work into the image , get into very relaxed state , and when I get involuntary imagery (from COggy) I need to know how it’s going to create tension with me. When the brain creates ideas and presents platforms for us to work from -this is cognitive/“doggie”.
Jon keeps telling us - we just need to let it go,
don’t engage with her or play with it and
WAIT until we pass through it to a hollow space in a calm state
past a desire to do something
then just witness
if we get any image the image
might not be what the mind would want
if we don’t understand it don’t ask why or worry
let whatever happens happen
this in my mind is the freefall to our senses -it works when we don’t engage with cognitive and -
wait wait wait
could be we just see a shoe -we might not be ready to accept what we see

each phase is equally important. It's most important at first to really relax -turn the left side off .
When Jon introduces an idea it will cause tension -we have to get back to the relaxed state - wait for the cognitive to settle down -
wait for all the rattle and monkey chatter to stop
and at that point my memory will be accessible
I’ll be in that hollow state and it will be connected to the question Jon proposed.
When the memory comes I don’t have to analyze it but just experience it . We can widen it out and let the memory speak to me.
Tonight we’re going to just get an image. We have to be aware when the mind is presenting convenient memory but not a memory you can feel.
Really critical to recognize the beast - this is our first big step!! again the beast is the cognitive side -don’t think or judge- don’t say "I remembered "
Always assume the images are from the cognitive side and don’t engage -wait -relax -we want specific emotional connection to it .
We are tapping into intimate moments -it can overwhelm you with emotion/feeling as I experienced .
Jon noted - to freeze the image
Our cognitive side is going to throw up clichés /baloney at first -we want to get deeper -have a precise point of view - I may not reach it every time
I have to be ready to accept it quickly when it comes -let it in
Like Jon's note -this is a ritual/ceremony and we create a distance on purpose -don’t be specific till we’re given it

I took the 20 minute drive and read signs along the way and could feel what seemed like a muscle working / pushing feeling
and of course after, when I relaxed ,that flexing feeling left -and I felt relaxed/openness -
For me recognizing that muscle squeezing sensation on my left side is helping me tune into it when it presents itself and ignore it and wait for the creative side to present.
In our first exercise tonight we relaxed and Jon wanted us to go back to our first Christmas memory -so I shut my eyes -this time it felt a little different and I could feel coggy suggesting maybe it wouldn’t work because my eyes were shut and they were open the last time I did it - I was able to let that pass and it took a few minutes but I did settle into our living room where I saw my mom and my brother and a fuzzy tree.
In that experience I seemed to just stand back and observe -I didn’t enter the memory like I did the other night and have all the emotional attachments
I've done sense streaming and really like how it relaxes my left side - set the timer for 10 minutes -sat on a stool in my living room facing the yard -hear birds, traffic etc, saw trees blowing. I felt my left side start sending ideas/conversations a few times, but I was able to regain my focus on the sounds and sights outside.
I'm not doping a great job capturing my dreams! I find myself saying "I'll remember that and I just want to sleep!
This is a really cool class and I just feel lucky to be with everyone as we take these trips!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum