Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Shannonigans

Lesson Three : Physical Involvement with an Object Empty Lesson Three : Physical Involvement with an Object

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 am
I don't have a lot of notes for this one, because I was struggling hard to focus on the exercises.

The lesson was using the previous experiences of taste and smell to illicit physical and emotional reactions in the present.
I learned that disgust is a far more motivating tool for me than pleasant tastes or smells. I personally am far more likely to have a physical reaction to something I do NOT enjoy (pickles, having a live fish in my mouth). I struggled to bring up sensory memory of the things I enjoyed on a regular basic.

During the fish exercise, my mind tried to give context to the scene and I had just watched a survival documentary with my boyfriend. Jon told me to focus on the experience and not the way, which was very helpful.

When I struggled to evoke images and feelings on popcorn YES POPCORN. The thing that I make on the stove every other night as my favorite snack, I felt like I failed because I couldn't full form the picture in my mouth. Jon said it didn't matter, because I could still smell the hot butter and salt and feel the popcorn melting on my tongue. I learned and wrote down: If it's not 100%, it doesn't matter as long as you feel something.

Experiences cascade. Once you focus on taste or smell, emotions wash over you like a river. The MINUTE Jon said pickle the first time, I wanted to gag and that was unexpected and so powerful.

I learned a lot during that class, but I'm definitely not where I'd like to be. But that's okay because I can still count the number of acting classes I've taken on two hands. lol.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum