Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris Fuller

Hold it like you mean it. Empty Hold it like you mean it.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:49 pm
Wednesdays class about getting a 3D understanding of a object. That means using all your senses with the object. In class we were using the plate to hand objects to each other. We then had to work with the object, and it had to have a problem. Jon used a lighter. He couldn't get it to light.

With this exercise he wanted us to be as engaged with the object as possible. When I went I saw a calculator, I made my first mistake when I was looking at it. I see now that can be a detriment. I could feel it, and see it. My objects problem was it's battery was dead. Jon couldn't watch us all when we worked. I have found out that I am using my senses much more deeply than I thought. Make this real to you. Actually feel the weight, and size.

I don't have the best words to describe what we are learning. I know this comes from the method which has it's foundation in theater. I have always thought that you would need this for when your on stage, and you were for instance working with a coffee cup. It wouldn't have any coffee in it, but you needed to make sure that you acted like it did. In film and tv most of the time you would have the object to work with. For auditions this is a skill you better have.

One thing I will have to work with going forward is making sure I do the work.

Jon gave us a home work assignment. To work with a object at home over the weekend.

Day one. Just look at the object for 5 mins at a time. Project it with your mind.

Day two. Put it in your hand. Try different grips. Do this ten times, then ten times without.

Day three. Pick object up, and hold it for three mins, then look at it. Do this with soft focus.

Day four. Explore the object, find a mechanical element.

Now you know what I will be doing this weekend.
laurenrivas

Hold it like you mean it. Empty Re: Hold it like you mean it.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:35 am
Thanks for another great post, Chris!
Jonmenick

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:45 am
Explore, explore!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum