Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris Fuller

Where did that come from? Empty Where did that come from?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:24 pm
Thursday's class started to take us to the next step in opening our mind. He has called this dipping. I don't know how to quite describe it. I know we are trying to trick our cognitive mind into letting us into our creative mind. After listening to Jon talk about this. It sounds like our cognitive mind is trying to protect us from things we might find on the other side. So far I been able do these exercises. It had taught me to trust myself. More on that later.

For this exercise we had to get a drawer to work with. We had to put a towel over it. After relaxing we pulled the cover off the drawer then we taped our temple, and started using our fingers to trace 3 to 5 anchors. We had to go as fast as possible to keep our cognitive mind at bay, even using gibberish. He wanted us to use soft focus to keep from spotting objects. We did this for 90 seconds, and got our self's out of breath. After that we go back to trace objects in a relaxed state.

Jon then started asking us about what we saw in the drawer. He wanted us to feel it, and trace it. I could feel the measuring cup. It is made out of stainless steel. I could feel the salad tongs, they were made out of acrylic. At that point Job asked me what else I saw, I could see a carving fork, I had a wooden handle, and it was stamped medal. I could feel the imperfections of the metal. It had a serving ladle on top of it. I remember my parents used it during the holidays.

Now here's the best part. THAT CARVING FORK WASN'T IN THERE. It was in the other drawer. I could still see it as if it were. I didn't even know this till I went to put the drawer back. What is funny is when I found out about that I started have a flood of memories about the life I have had with that fork. The holidays, and other occasions.

I have learned two things this block. Time, and trust. So far they have been the biggest revelations I have had with this work. Jon has talked about give yourself time, and something will come, and to trust in what you find. For me this has hit me like a ton of bricks. I see now how waiting of something to come pays off. You don't have to rush "give it time".

I also have had a big realization on being genuine with your work. I used to think about how my emotions would show on camera. Then I realized that when you you genuinely feel something, no matter how it looks, it is real. It goes deeper than that, but I don't think words do it justice.

This work is so eye opening.

geoffreyculbertson likes this post

Jonmenick

Where did that come from? Empty Re: Where did that come from?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:08 am
Time, Trust, Tenacity!

MEdwardsen likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum