Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
mollypegram

Dipping - Class 4 Empty Dipping - Class 4

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:37 pm
Some methods techniques are used here (working on an object, bringing it back). This is short term memory work, and eventually will be for long term memory. This takes a lot of practice, and having a lot of faith and belief.
There are a few steps to streaming, but each of them takes a lot of mental agility. We do certain things/techniques to give a break to the cognitive mind and prevent it from taking over. Dipping is where the money is in streaming.

*Important for image work: Time, Place, and Objects
Time reveals itself to you (sunlight, clocks, elements). You aren’t looking for it, but it’s there. Place is in general AND what is specific. Sounds, smells, atmosphere, light/lack of, objects (big and small, going after objects that are hidden). Look for objects in hidden places (drawers, closets, pockets, under the bed, high shelves, inside socks, shoes, inside cases, under the sink). You have to snoop around. When searching for the character, you have to find their secret places. We don’t go into the place to be the character; we are merely observers. I want her to reveal herself to me.

Dipping – the cognitive mind will want to take over.
The ceremony is there to overload the cognitive perception. You are afraid it won’t remember – this causes NO discoveries. The cognitive mind will want to memorize. You must say to yourself: DON’T.
When looking, you MUST look at it with a soft focus. No scanning or memorizing.
Practice this, it will be a secret weapon. This work will always make me connected. Get really good at it.

Take a few breaths.
Put the drawer in front of me, see it.
Take another deep breath, pull off the cover on the exhale.
Tag the biggest, most apparent objects, tag as fast as you can, over and over until you’re out of breath (give NO space for the mind to come in; attack the big objects vigorously, but what’s in between has not been tagged). STOP.
For one minute, go soft focus and look at the drawer. You rest and just look. Everything goes out of focus. We are creating an impression, not a memory. For a minute, maybe longer. Impression is a sense of stuff rather than a particular thing.
Trace the shapes of what’s in between from left to right.
From the impression, we harvest. Things will fill in.

It doesn’t matter that it’s accurate. Have an anchor connecting you to the drawer. We learn to go with it.
Remember that this part is not streaming. We are then combining the memory with the moment.
This is a weird but cool experience. I was able to take my thoughts out of it and just experience the box. Everything slowly appeared to me as I went back through the box. It didn’t feel like much effort after the vigorous 90 seconds. It was there and I could see it.
I didn’t zoom in and out because it didn’t realize we could do that in this exercise, but there was one disc that I remember not really being able to see clearly or read it and I wanted to zoom in. When there is something in your work that has detail, zoom in on it – that’s where it gets juicy. This has power.
None of us want to BS this, so if you see it, it’s there. Trust yourself. Experience it.
The zoom is where the streaming takes place. We are taking this one step at a time.
The exercise evolved from when I first did it. I was definitely doing less describing and more seeing. People got really detailed towards the end and got to zoom and see a lot more. I think the zooming or opening would have had so much more for me. I can see how what you open and/or zoom on gets you even more connected because it *appears* to you. it’s not something you’ve necessarily seen before.
This is our invention. It draws from other techniques, but specific to us.
We aren’t trying to impress. This took FOREVER the last time we tried this in class a couple years ago. Maybe it was because we don’t have any in-person pressure to perform.  Zoom could be a blessing? Or we have just developed in this process enough that we have failed enough that now we can break down every step and move through the process, one piece at a time.
Allow the senses to come in.
There is value in exertion (warm-up clenching, vigorous tagging) – shot of endorphins, and it relaxes you further in the end. Sort of like doing a full commitment.
We are fighting against our nature in the dipping.
If we get good at this, you have a secret weapon AND we could teach this to other people someday.

MEdwardsen likes this post

Jonmenick

Dipping - Class 4 Empty Re: Dipping - Class 4

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 am
I copied this post to my lesson plan. Exactly what I needed to recall all the steps. Thank you.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum