Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MEdwardsen

Dipping from the Edge Empty Dipping from the Edge

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 pm
Sadly, I was not able to attend last Thursday's class.  So in an effort to stay on track with everyone, I have ready the posts from the class...THANK YOU POSTERS!

I started by getting myself relaxed...which took a while due to being quite tired and with a very active brain.  When I finally felt fairly relaxed, I tried to image the drawer with a towel over it.  Nothing is coming easy tonight and it took a while to even get this far.  My first images were of a long thin drawer that pulled out of the old telephone desk in the home I grew up in.  I read about naming items right to left, so my brain fought this image and I tried to relax into a wider drawer image.  I even tried to start the process with this "forced" image and the sketching of the anchors was so generic, I finally abandoned and wiped it clean.

I then realized there was a fair amount of background noise from a TV upstairs and the cat meowing that was an extra challenge to focus.  So, since I was unable to get away and I read in someone's post that Jon called this like jazz, I found some instrumental jazz and put on my ear buds to try again.  I let the mind settle back and the first image of the long thin drawer returned to me....so this time I went with it.

When I had that fairly locked in with a beige towel covering it, I removed the towel and found the anchors back to front, attempting to move quickly and sketch them in one breath.  Challenging to keep them fuzzy, and even as I was able to keep the image details fuzzy, my mind did name the items I was quickly sketching.....rectangle address book, silver metal tape measure, black ruler.  Then I spent what felt like at least a minute in soft focus just gazing.  Then to the dipping...as best I could garner from the read notes.

First came a red pencil...along with a faint hint of that wood pencil smell, then a paper clip, then the square white paper under the tape measure, then a manual pencil sharpener.  While I was doing the dipping, I was tapping my finger on my temple.  I'm not sure if I read it as part of the process in a post and at one point I stopped.....then felt the image retreating, so quickly returned to the tapping the temple.

Quick harvest from the solo operation is that this sucks compared to class with everyone! Sad Having the chance to see others experience this and have Jon's voice guiding is definitely invaluable, however, I am glad to have tried and I did make some discoveries from this effort...and came out feeling more relaxed than when I started.  Looking forward to joining live again tomorrow!
Jonmenick

Dipping from the Edge Empty Re: Dipping from the Edge

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am
I am glad you tried it. Tonight I’ll help you integrate the fine points.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum