Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ahobbs

Maybe Reassess My Childhood  Empty Maybe Reassess My Childhood

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:43 pm
6/18/2020¬¬¬
Jon suggested we all read Josh’s post
2nd Class 6/18/2020
Salient Points
My mind as it relates to memory – the subconscious has stacks of stuff we have chosen to discard (don’t want to remember, deemed unimportant, etc.) It has a DO NOT ENTER sign at the entrance of this Place of Memories. But this is where some of the “Best” stuff is kept. Our cognitive brain is where we Remember things that we chose to hold.

As actors we are asked to tap into our imagination and for that we need our memories. The things behind the DO NOT ENTER sign.

Memories are those things we have experienced but also those things we have watched, read about and heard about.

We need to learn our instrument (our body and mind)

We need to learn our process (developing right now)

For the class exercise we had to get into an enormous state of relaxation like we were going to sleep. This is how our mind creates ideas.

Jon asked us to remember an early childhood Christmas. We were not to remember details of anything. When we harvested to him we were to talk about what we saw and experienced in the present tense.
I was able to do this just fine. I would pull myself back when I started to try to pay attention to the detail of the wood trim on a piece of furniture. What I remember most now is how I felt. The longing I had to return to that time of life and be with my family again. But as I continued to take it all in, I rested on the floor curled up in the fetal position sucking my thumb with my family on the couch. I felt at peace and like nothing could be better. What I find interesting about this is that I always remember the anxiety I had as a child. Maybe it was all that way.

Jon gave us an assignment to drive for 20 min and read every sign, license plate, etc. and observe how we feel. Then just drive and drift but also be conscious of how I feel. I did that exercise and during the first part I struggled to stay focused. I had to begin to say what I read out loud. As I got into town I had to slow down my speed (of course the speed limit was slower anyway). It was a lot of work. The second part is the way I usually drive, and I was more relaxed.
Jonmenick

Maybe Reassess My Childhood  Empty Re: Maybe Reassess My Childhood

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 pm
I always love reading your posts. Yes, those memories from childhood.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum