Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris Fuller

Three new lessons. Empty Three new lessons.

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm
To start with, tonight's class had a hole new weight for me. With this education sometimes the lessons you learn come all at once. One thing I knew in my life was that I had never really used my creative side much. I have known that actors have to use their creative side in their work. One thing Jon has pointed out in this work is how we use that creative side. I know from my own experience you don't just be creative. You half to have a lead or "reason" to go where you want. Jon showed me tonight what happens when you don't use your creative side for a long time. He also showed me how to get it back.

The first thing I found out tonight was a lot about dreams. We had been using them to explore our senses, all five of them. When we started this I had no idea what to expect with it. Every step of the way I been amazed by what I have achieved. One thing I have found is I am lacking in some of my senses. I have found my sense of vision is good, my sense of hearing might need help. Then I found out something, that should be a non starter, when we dream we don't include our senses. When we worked tonight I learned two lessons the first one was when I let it come to me, I can do this. When we started the dream I had was very short, and didn't show a lot of detail, as I streamed the place started to fill in. I didn't even have to ask it to, it just started to come. Before I knew it I had a entire scene there. The other thing I learned from this was when I started to harvest, I didn't hear any sounds. When Jon asked me about this I jammed myself. I told him I didn't which at time was true. I had forgot that in dreams we usually don't hear sound. I didn't even think of letting that in. I did everything else. I guess starting with a dream I didn't give myself permission to hear. I won't do that again.

The next lesson for me was how we are using this. It was put very eloquently. That when a writer is writing a story or script they are exploring the characters, the place, the story. They see a 3D world as they work. Now we will never be able to be in their heads so to speak, but we can explore and get a idea of that world. Jon did a really great job explaining this. In streaming we can look around and see what that world looks like. Now I know that it isn't the world that the writer created, but it is a world that will make the script real to us. We can find things that don't show themselves in the script. The way he explained it makes so much sense to me. They don't write 2D characters so why would we give them 2D characters.

The last thing I learned that class was, we don't want the easy way out. We don't want to ask our mind for the answer. It will give us something obvious to keep us happy. One of the things about dipping around in the drawers is that is has a associative effect of on the world we are looking in.

This work has been eye opening for so many reasons. For one if anyone doesn't think they can do this, they are wrong. This has reaffirmed in me I can do this. If I can go from not even knowing what streaming is to starting to use it anyone with a open mind can. The work it's self keeps you from creating this half baked no imagination world or back story with nothing felt. That doesn't help you worth crap. I closing I don't know what is next in this, but so far this has been the best class you can have if you have never used your creative side. For acting it gives you a way to explore the world of the script. For me it reminds me I can do anything I put my mind to.