Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
dianadamato

7/16 Class Recap Empty 7/16 Class Recap

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:12 am
To begin this post, I’d like to include the entire three-step process of image streaming that Jon shared with us, in terms of how it applies to acting. The whole 3-step process consists of moving through imagery, articulating by streaming, then working from this emotional state to work on the script. By image streaming, you emerge from a place of deeply felt emotions. I hope, if there is another class on image streaming, that this can be put in to practice similarly to our introduction to this method in Process 1. Jon also provided a lovely definition of streaming: “Streaming is that intimate relationship when you go back to vocalize and discover more when harvesting, living it as you talk about it.”

We started with our main steps of the breathing technique, letting our minds go blank, and tapping our temple. This time, we reintroduced the phrase, “calm body, alert mind” on the exhale. With our minds blank, Jon guided us into becoming attune to our senses by asking about more detailed aspects of our surroundings. For example: what do you hear long-range? What do you hear mid-range? What do you feel- hot or cold? How do you feel- afraid, hungry, etc.? he encouraged us to follow our impulses and allow memory to fill out the scene to help make it more real. For me, it truly made everything around me feel alive. I could hear the sound of cars in the distance but, also, a couple of girls chatting and making their way around the corner to the street where “Diana” is. Like before, I could feel the balmy summer air on my skin. But this time, I realized there was a chill to my clothes and skin as if the summer night was warming me up. This aligns perfectly with the story of my dream; at this point, I would have just exited the building in which I was a bit lost and asked for directions. It just makes sense that this previous place, in all its fluorescence, would also be frigidly cold to keep the humidity at bay. I can attest to the realism behind this as well, having spent last summer in New York. There’s those first few moments of bliss as you warm up after just spending time in an overly air-conditioned area. And, true to living in the city, my feet ached despite the cushion of my insoles. I will admit, like last time, my mind would be blank but once Jon suggested a new sense to explore, I involuntarily pictured the dream again from both points of view from time to time. I think this helped though, because it helped my memory to recall the sounds and smells of the city. Particularly, I remembered how, while you may luck out and stumble upon an empty street, you’re never on your own for long. Plus, it helped me remember the one thing no one ever tells you about the city: there’s always a strong scent of pot at least once every few blocks.

After our senses were in sync, we began exploring our dream settings like never before. First, Jon told us to find somewhere in the distance and focus on an object. Once we’ve chosen an object, he advised we move to it by gliding and trace as you move to keep the image intact. I found my “gliding” was more of a quick zoom, like how movies depict the speed of supernatural creatures from their point of view. The sides of what I was seeing were blurred due to that speed but my focus remained on the object. My first object was actually an ATM inside the small bank right by where “Diana” was standing. I think I was drawn to it because it is the only building on the street with the lights still on, so it was easy to pick out. I glided past the glass doors, which included push bars and a sign. Jon encouraged us to explore the area by moving slowly from left to right and by touching the object itself. I could feel the rough plastic of the body of the ATM, cool raised keys, smooth screen, and the stickers slightly raised from the item itself. Looking around, I saw a couple more ATMs to my left, a window to speak to a teller to my right, and an open door leading to nothing but darkness just beyond my ATM in front of me. I discovered details like the pen attached to the counter in front of the window along with the blue walls and darker blue linoleum floor. However, the most interesting part was looking out the glass doors and seeing “Diana” from behind! My view of her was from behind and it was such a surreal experience. I think if I had seen “Diana’s” face, my brain would’ve exploded.

Then, Jon had us make a 180-degree turn and find a new object in the distance. I was worried I wouldn’t find anything because I sights landed on the street where my point of view (not as “Diana”) usually comes from. At this point of view, the buildings behind me are darkened and not at all lit. This also goes for the street around the corner for that spot since it was an angle I never realized existed before. it was on this darkened side street that I discovered a subway stop! Now, this may be because during our first exercise I thought it was strange that there were none around in my dream setting. But, I’m considering this a win because something literally came from nothing in a matter of moments. So, I glided across the street to the familiar green of the station rails and black signage. Funnily enough, when Jon reminded us to touch the object, I cringed! The city girl in me knew better than to touch something like that. I traced it all, including the words on the black sign indicating where this stop leads. Uncreatively, the lines were A, B, and C and it led toward “Eastbound & Downtown.” I could feel the raised words on the sign and the thick paint covering the rails. Just like the door at the bank, this subway stop led to darkness. It gradually was darker and darker as the steps continued. If this were a movie, I would get a strong “descent into Hell” kind of vibe. But, I think darkness, especially in a night scene like mine, is my mind’s way of covering up what it couldn’t create. After this, we moved left to right as we traced what we saw. I was delighted to discover that the block beyond the stoplight on my street was covered in trees. As if Brooklyn suddenly was stitched in next to my streets. This may also have been due to an earlier thought of, “hey, why aren’t there any trees?”, just like the subway stop before. But, it made everything feel so real and exciting. Or, since my family is from Brooklyn, perhaps my brain went with what it knew or was attempting to supply a place of comfort.

Once these anchor points were discovered, Jon tasked us in finding our objective or subjective symbol and glide to it so it can be touched. I started slowly scanning my setting and wondered what it can be. Then it came to me in a total “light bulb moment.” The car! Further down the street “Diana” is walking on, there is a solitary parked car. This symbol makes so much sense considering the context of the dream being “Diana” discussing modes of transportation on the phone just before the image. The poetic nature of the anxiety of needing to get home paired with an option sitting right there was so enlightening. It’s your typical 80’s mid-size car (like a Sedan or Subaru). The dark red paint job is rusting on the roof from years of wear and tear. Because of this, the paint’s a little rougher to touch and I could smell that metallic scent. Other than that, touching the car didn’t provide much new insight in terms of senses but, doing so made the object feel more grounded. I can still see it up close and feel the usual smoothness of the glass, the texture of the rubber tires, etc.

The whole experience was filled with revelations. As we were doing this exercise, finding signs of life and ways to escape within my dream (hearing other people, the subway) provided a sense of comfort. This image held so much loneliness and worry but, exploring it made me feel less lost and alone. Amazing how such a negative image got turned on its head once it was deconstructed. Though, a few nights late when reflecting on these newfound things, I felt a kind of sadness realizing that although all of this surrounded me, there still wasn’t much I could do within the story. “Diana” would be at first comforted to known, a way back is right there and people are just around the corner but, none of it will actually help her. She’ll still need to sort out how to get home in the long-run and she’ll still have that dejected feeling from that phone call despite the momentary hope. I guess it’s the equivalent of feeling lonely in a crowded room. But, it’s uplifting to know my own mind was trying to provide that hope within a image of an girl feeling so lost. Exploring this dream has certainly been a journey!
Jonmenick

7/16 Class Recap Empty Re: 7/16 Class Recap

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:43 am
Mind blowing great post. You transported me. This is a post I will keep forever.

dianadamato likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum