Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Shannonigans

Lesson 7: The Three Elements Empty Lesson 7: The Three Elements

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:46 am
I struggled hard in Monday's class. I did the work, but I had such a hard time getting out of my head that I could not fully immerse myself in the experience. Going after Lauren and Geoff was NERVE WRECKING, especially after the glowing words of praise from Jon about how that was exactly what we needed to do. I lost it and I could not get it back. But, that's life. Oftentimes in auditions you might be going after someone who KILLED it and you just gotta bring your best self to the table. I think one of my blocks is actually that I accept failure. I accept that I'm learning and think somehow that I'm not supposed to be good and to an extent, yes, but that shouldn't mean that I can't bring MY best self to the table (or computer desk in this case)

I learned about Zone of Concentration: Blocking out everything outside of what we are focusing on. This is something I will try to keep with me as we go through this class and beyond.

Many times I've witnessed the magic of comedic improv onstage. As I said before, I used to live with the leader of an improv troupe! I always thought they were just making it up as they went, but I realize through this class that while yes, they were "free flowing", they definitely had these basics in their heads and as an audience member I felt it.

In acting, there is a level of discovery that must happen so that you are no longer faking it, and I have not reached that point yet, but I'm ABSOLUTELY going to.

The only quote I have written down is: "Improvisation is Free Flowing". So simple, so true.1
Jonmenick

Lesson 7: The Three Elements Empty Re: Lesson 7: The Three Elements

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am
Becoming skilled is a long term investment of time, energy, commitment and self control. Judging yourself as a failure or a success is unwise because It changes day to day, second to second. Keep plugging.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum