Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Shannonigans

Lesson 11: Establishment Empty Lesson 11: Establishment

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 pm
Wednesday we learned to start with a go-to phrase that triggers the essence of the character in us. I really enjoy work like this because its exactly what you focus on in voice acting when building a character voice. We pay attention to how that character ends their sentences, how they begin their sentences, dialects, that vocal ticks they have, pauses, accents, etc. It's why I got into voice acting in the first place. That process is FASCINATING to me.

Now, add that to also trying to build a scene and that's where I flop. I have not been a writer since high school and coming up with an improv on the fly is something I am STRUGGLING with.

I thought I did a pretty good job with Geoff, but it seems I need to work on being more firm with what I'm presenting so that I can convey it to the audience as well. It's funny because I knew everything I was trying to establish.

Where: Some college kid's basement at the end of a long party night where almost everyone else has gone home,
Who/Psycho-emotional state: a newly single girl (liberated) hanging out with a good friend
Conflict development/obstacle: It'd be morally wrong while on drugs and would ruin their friendship.

But I couldn't send it out to the audience, so I've got a long way to go. Baby steps!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum