Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Shannonigans

Lesson One : Don't be fake! Empty Lesson One : Don't be fake!

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm
First off, thank you SO MUCH to Mike for posting all of the rules, because I definitely missed number 8. Next time I'm typing notes because my handwriting is atrocious when I speed write!

So, this is definitely much more than I expected from an improv class. I have very little experience with improv aside from at one point having a roommate that ran an improv group and held practice in our living room. Those were some fun days! But sadly, I suffer from some pretty bad anxiety and at the time could not will myself to participate.

One thing I learned Monday was that Improv does not have to be funny and that was the moment I knew I no longer had any idea what I was in for.

First exercise, I was full of nerves and hilariously enough was given the prompt "humiliation", so I did what I always do in improv games with friends, I used my anxiety and leaned into the panic. Which worked, but also made me a talkative wreck, which we all later learned was NOT the way.

I really enjoyed watching everyone else's improvisation as well, because I think we all brought something different to the table. When Ness started seducing back, I nearly died laughing, because despite it not having contrast, it did have irony. I didn't expect it at all.

The 13 Rules of Improv had an overarching theme of "Don't be fake", which I loved, and many of them were explanations on how not to be fake or how to tell when you weren't being genuine. I found the sensory lesson to be very close to my heart, because it's something I'm learning in therapy and something I strive to work on every day: Being present in the moment.

Some of my favorite quotes were definitely "DO NOT INDICATE. EXPERIENCE!" and " Let it be uncomfortable until it's comfortable."

During the second exercise I really enjoyed the musical element and found it fascinating that no matter what, I could trust my subconscious to NOT let me take the easy route and stick to one song. I also like that it trains you to forget almost everything else and just focus on your scene partner to match their energy.

Can't wait for tonight!
Jonmenick

Lesson One : Don't be fake! Empty Re: Lesson One : Don't be fake!

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am
You are so welcome to be here. Can not wait to get to know you.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum