Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
mikeperlowski

7/22 Class Empty 7/22 Class

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 am
In this class we played some more with character improv by being dropped into a scene with a partner. To first get into character, pick a phrase to repeat to get their essence into your mouth. This doesn't have to be something from the script or anything they've ever said, just something to get you in the right space.

In every improv you need to establish/do:

1. Where you are - atmosphere, place, this should be done non-verbally before anyone starts speaking
  2. Maintain character and establish your specific relationship
  3. Must succeed in the essential psycho-emotional state (for this exercise basically the emotional prompt)
  4. Conflict must develop - anything you say not leading to conflict is a waste of time
  5. Must create an obstacle

I haven't done the partner scene yet but I did do a little work with my interview scene and a couple minutes of that was as valuable as days of study. Just gotta get up there and do it. Personally I'm a fan of us being dropped into a whole scene, rather than improv on specific things. I feel like it's easier for me to consider the scene as a whole rather than being hyper focused on a singular detail.
Jonmenick

7/22 Class Empty Re: 7/22 Class

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:54 am
I agree, but I may have to adjust a bit to make sure atmosphere is established.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum