Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
dianadamato

6/16 Class Recap (First Class!!) Empty 6/16 Class Recap (First Class!!)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:26 pm
Our first class began with an overview of what image streaming is and the type of image streaming we will be learning and discussing. Jon explained that phrase comes from the combination of “streaming” being related to what we do as actors and “imaging” being what we do. He further explained that if verbalizing is the language of the conscious mind and imaging is the language of the subconscious mind, then streaming acts as a bridge between the two. The concrete or cognitive mind is about function (i.e., scripting) while the creative mind gives things life. Without that creative mind, there’s no possibility for things to advance. So, we must build both so they can work together in concert.

Since we have been given a handout with specific explanations for each type of imaging, I’ll go over the basics, include any examples that came forth when Jon elaborated on them, and add my own thoughts/commentary.

1.) Involuntary imaging- thoughts or images that jump into our minds, like daydreaming. Gives your mind a little break from the concrete. Jon suggested we try driving for 10 minutes with full concentration, being a perfect driver by reading every sign and checking the speed limit, and actively trying not to let your mind drift to other thoughts. Then, try 10 minutes of relaxing with the radio on and letting your mind wander. Harvest that involuntary mind drifting and notice how often it happened. (I tried this, and as an already nervous driver, the first part was easy for me since I was driving to a newer place at a busy time. I find my mind drifts more easily with familiar places and quieter roads.)
2.) Symbolic- happens in that place between awake and asleep and in dreams. You have to be deeply under in order to get those symbols. Jon advised becoming sensitive to those symbols and the fact that your mind creates them and think about those symbols’ meanings. (I find I remember my dreams when I’m in this lighter sleep. And as someone who has more than one book on symbols in dreams, I’m looking forward to decoding them!)
3.) Fragmented- like when you create a scenario before bed to help you fall asleep. You hold onto that structure and let your mind freely associate from there. They don’t necessarily have to make sense or be chronological. (I’m glad I’m not the only one who does this when they really can’t sleep!)
4.) Free-Association- clearing your mind and using a trigger to bring forth an image. For example, being given the word “orange,” then free-associating a situation involving an orange.
5.) Story- following a chronological story, like when we daydream or fantasize a scenario.
6.) Verbalizing- this is when we harvest and discussing the image being seen while streaming. By doing this, the actor is present in both worlds- the world imagined and the real world.
7.) Recalled- rooted in personal memories and recalled with spatial and physical accuracy. By doing this in class, I want to add that every detail doesn’t need to be there but, you will find more details appear the more you observe.
8.) Guided or Facilitated Imaging- the actor is guided through the image by someone else. Similar to a guided meditation.

Jon then taught us about the art of dream-catching so that we may start recording our dreams in order to create a catalog for later streaming. He assigned us with the task of starting a dream journal saying we should quickly write down our experience (but analysis is not needed) and work on remembering your dreams upon waking, review the tactical elements or smells, etc. the term dream-catching refers to noting all parts and elements of your dream. The criteria to expand on when writing about your experience are: the place or places, the time (can be as vague as day or night), people in the dream (in detail and how they make you feel), what is your relationship to those people in the dream, trace the story of the dream with as much detail as you can (stick to what is most clear to you, even if it’s fragmented), how old are you in the dream, any animals or objects (which are actually your symbols), any symbols you notice, and if you felt strongly about any of the objects in the dream. Furthermore, symbols are doorways to the subconscious. In this case, we accept them but don’t analyze them. Subjective symbols relate to you and objective symbols relate to others.
The first exercise was to enter the portal of our imagination. You must relax enough to allow your brain to let images come forward without judgment, have faith to conjure images from memory without self-editing, and have specificity. Let yourself wait for the unending well that is your subconscious to come forth. Jon warned that there will be resistance against powerful memories and suppressed emotions or things that make you feel any shame. If emotion is elicited, then stick with the exercise and there will be no harm. The method is accessing memories but not using them.

Our main exercise was bringing back our first childhood bedroom as a way to practice recalled and fragmented imaging. Start with a deep breath, clear your mind, exhale, and relax your gaze to a soft focus. On the exhale, ask “I wonder what I see?” and tap your right forefinger to your temple to allow the image to appear. Once you have a grasp of the image that you’re confident will stick, move your finger from your temple to in front of you as if projecting the image forward. Then, have your hand on your leg, ready to trace. Freeze the image in your mind and gently trace the room starting from left to right with your finger in the air as if it is all in front of you, naming each thing you’re tracing as you do so. (And don’t worry about zooming in on detail. Instead, keep a fixed point of view). When you’re done tracing in the air, place your hand on your knee. Finally, harvest what you see while still imagining the place. Let your mind move from right to left this time and go into detail as much as you can (color, material, temperature, etc.). For me, this was such a pleasant experience. I saw my room during the height of my Beauty and the Beast phase with my old furniture. When first seeing it and going left to right, I saw basics: the furniture itself, the windows, the bedspread. But, moving right to left reveled more detail, like posters, my lava lamp, objects in my vanity. What was most exciting was when suddenly my chair I had forgotten about appeared out of nowhere! I think letting myself slow down and home in on what I was seeing made my memory reveal more details. The whole experience made me feel happy, warm, and a bit safe. I was advised to stick with my earliest memory and not let it shift, since the wall next to my bed would fade from my Beauty and the Beast wall decal to my NSYNC poster. I also had to actively remind my self to think of other senses like touch and smell. So, next time, I will take my time to fully flesh out the image before placing it. Jon echoed this thought by saying specificity is the most important word in streaming. Luckily, now that I’ve streamed this image, I can access it at any time and will be able to recall it immediately in the future!

I’m excited for this class to continue. In Process I, the image streaming exercises are what really clicked for me. And personally, I think this could potentially be very healing in a lot of ways. I’m hoping it will also leave me more connected to my subconscious mind which would help me get more in touch with myself/how my mind works.
Jonmenick

6/16 Class Recap (First Class!!) Empty Re: 6/16 Class Recap (First Class!!)

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:28 am
Great post. I love how you personalize each step. Good work.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum