Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
dianadamato

7/23 Class Recap Empty 7/23 Class Recap

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:28 am
In today’s class, we finally began to apply our work in image streaming toward creating a character profile. Jon began class by explaining that streaming has more than one purpose but, its principle use is being able to find a connection to a character in the script by using discovery and good detective work, instinct and intellect. To do so, we want to use some of the tools that a writer would and image that so it is cohesive. He reminded us not to question what appears when imaging but rather accept everything that comes your way. Trust yourself and your personal outlook on the world because that’s what brings your personal relationship to the character. Your instincts are already good enough to do this! But study and analyze the script like some people study the Bible. So, the goal for the day is to create a character profile based on findings when image streaming. Jon informed us that there is nothing we can assert from these characters, but you can, however, infer enough to create a profile of them so you can easily become them. And there’s nothing you can assert that’s born out of an object because when you assert something you have to relate to the root of it. You have to absorb behavior and use this character as a foundation to build upon.

To complete this exercise, we watched as Tanya entered her dreamscape and streamed with Jon. She described the surroundings, the person she was seeing, and the objects they were carrying while the rest of us watched and vigorously took notes. Tanya explained the dream had a dystopian vibe, a historical feel, and fit the drama genre though there was a sense of comedy to it. The environment was that of an unfinished basement with a lot of clutter and trash bags. She continued by saying her character does not belong there yet has been there for a long time. She saw a woman in her 30’s that was about 5’6” or 5’7” and had crystal blue eyes. She noted her eyes were staring, cold and emotionless. Her skin was pale, cold, freckled, and had a bit of peach fuzz. She looked healthy and even had pudgy, undefined cheeks. Tanya could smell her pores and the sharp scent of mothballs. She wore an old, ripped, and dingy cloth skirt, fishnet stockings, and a dusty green suede hat that she’s been wearing for a while. This woman also had straps on her legs that covered her feet as if to protect them, yet her feet are dry at the heel similar to an old person’s feet when left unattended. She also wears a ripped cloth strap wrapped around her like a purse that smells like fresh leather despite being old. Now, where things get really interesting is Tanya’s description of the unusual parts of the character’s body. Her back is reptilian with brown legs behind her that can come up, are the width of her body, and can contract inward. The cloth around her feet is almost melded into her skin with the front of her feet appearing human but the back of them being something else. Her strawberry blonde ponytailed hair is oily and sweaty with webs coming from it. She ended by further describing the pungent oil smell of her feet and scent of her dry, dehydrated breath.

From there, Tanya explored the objects this character had on her. First was a handmade green and brownish clay/playdough elephant with its trunk going up and a thumbprint imprinted onto it. The detail of this elephant that stuck out to me was the one shiny part on the back of it. Next was a piece of folded up lined paper ripped from a spiral notebook with the words “Be still!!!” written on it. A silver 24-hour sobriety token that smelled of lavender followed. Finally, Tanya discovered a silver scratched tool spacer about the size of an eraser. She confirmed that this character had no wallet or keys.

After Tanya streamed for the class, we went into breakout rooms and discussed our theories. We were also given the opportunity to ask Tanya more questions and learned that this character has an Australian accent, balled up string in her pocket, her arms are scratching herself. She also explained that there was a vibe of “trapped and adapt,” an eerie feeling to the space, and a feeling of potential abandonment. My group immediately began reviewing all the sci-fi elements and how they could indicate that this person was a robot or science experiment. We assessed the objects and their possible connections to the character. We came to the conclusion that this character was the product of a science experiment gone wrong due to her looks, dustiness, and lack of evidence for any sustenance. Jon concurred with this theory and explained that if she is, in fact, reptilian then she would only need bugs to survive. Tiffanie determined that she could have been “the help” for a family but was left behind since the entire scene exudes a sense of abandonment. During our discussion, I also pointed out the symbolism of the thumbprint on the elephant and the fact that it’s handmade to represent her last shred of humanity. While my group focused on the context, the other group focused on the character. They concluded that she was undergoing a Kafka-esque transformation, was wounded or disabled, and soft-spoken. The group also touched on something my group did as well: she is in hiding and lonely. To explain the sobriety chip, they said she was on her way to sobriety when this dystopia began to happen. Jon elevated this by saying that perhaps she isn’t even an addict and goes to addiction meetings for another reason. Maybe she craves food, connection, anonymity, or just being around other wounded people. And since she’s in hiding and living in a dystopian world, every time she goes out to these meetings (or at all) the stakes are life and death. But she’s so desperate for connection that she risks it anyway. The greatest advice from our discussions with Jon is that the obvious answer is only half the tank- so ask What if? What if it’s something else?

This was such a fun exercise! Getting to play detective and brainstorm with others was such a joy. I can only imagine what else we would have come up with if we had more time. I could easily do this every class and for hours on end. Then again, that’s that English major side of me that loves character analysis coming to the forefront. I’m especially grateful we got to work with a dream as interesting as Tanya’s. It was totally unexpected but had so much substance to give. Plus, it’s always a good time to explore a sci-fi world rather than a reality similar to our own. I know I’ll be dreaming of bugs tonight!
Jonmenick

7/23 Class Recap Empty Re: 7/23 Class Recap

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:16 pm
Forever post, forever post, forever post!!

dianadamato likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum