Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris Fuller

The maze to the cheese. Empty The maze to the cheese.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:20 pm
Jon introduced us to bridge with this work over the last few classes. He said bridge is a exploration of the character. Just like a detective we need to ask the right questions.

Jon opened a new idea to me tonight. The understanding of archetype, and symbols. One thing so far I haven't really explored is archetype. I knew about this before I started this program, but haven't done much research into this. Tonight It really hit home. This is one of the more if not most important parts of what we do. Jon made a statement about archetype vs. type. I don't want to be a type actor, I want to be a archetype actor. Jon finally answered a question that has eaten at me forever. That many actors are type actors, not archetype actors. Jon without knowing it showed us a way to find archetype. For me the thing I have to do now is study up on these types to know how to use them.

Jon is showing us how to use symbology to explore the character. We also use it to find the archetype. This is something for me that will take time to get good at. Tonight when we did the work. As we were taking the info down, I could see the character forming. The image was quite powerful. When we got into groups to do the work, I did a good job of not telling a story, now sometimes you could see a base story forming, but I would stop before it got going. One thing I need to practice is being able to see the symbols. I don't know if it is one of those forest for the trees thing. I will get it.

I think one thing that I learned is that if you want to be a character actor, you will have to know archetypes.

I now see what I will have to work on over the break. This is one of those lessons that I will have to think some more about to get the full depth of what I have learned.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum