Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MEdwardsen

Penultimate Class...Penultimate Post Empty Penultimate Class...Penultimate Post

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 am
OK y'all!  First, apologies to Jon and the class for not posting regularly.  I confided in Jon recently that I'm having a bit of computer burn out from being on it all day for work and then many an evening for class, virtual rehearsals and "hangouts" with friends.  Then when I have logged in, I read y'alls fascinating posts before writing one...then forgetting to write my own.  Smile  Not intended as an excuse, but explanation in addition to the apology.  

Second, I must say this class continues to be a bright spot in these crazy time and thank you Jon and all for being all.  Great seeing familiar faces of people I've had the pleasure of actually meeting in person and getting to at least virtually know some new folk.  You have all inspired and at times amazed with you commitments, discoveries and knowledge!

Finally....to the CHEESE.  Since it's been about two weeks since my last post, will try to coherently summarize some of the learnings, but will focus logistics from the last class only....for the sake of time and space....the final frontier. Laughing

Last Class logistics:
Jon shared with us...perhaps for the umpteenth time....the steps to get into streaming, whether guiding someone else or on our own.  I will raise my hand as one who didn't write it down until Tuesday's class. Shocked  I hope I got it all down right.  Embarassed
1) Take 3 breaths
   -The first is a deep one to let it all go
   - The second is a yawn
   - The third is another deep breath to get ready
2) Close your eyes and relax. Enter the space in a wide angle as a witness...just arrive with everything slightly out of focus
3) When you feel you're truly there, bring your right index finger to your temple, find your person and begin to tap as you approach them.
4) When you are 1 foot away, project finger to them to touch their forehead and slightly open your eyes.
5) Put your hands on their head to work the hair and speak your experience out loud.
6) After smelling and work the hair, move down to the face.
7) Work your way down from there and follow instincts as to items of interest.

Jon mentioned to not get stuck too much on certain details and the stream is for gathering the interesting details to bring insight to the character....not putting the whole story together.

In the past two classes, it has been interesting doing the detective work in a small group to make certain discovers...and then merging with the whole class to detect some more together before presenting the "case" to Master Menick.  Another thing I greatly appreciate about J is his humility in admitting when he missed something.  In this case the beautiful ingenue threw in a curve at the wizened old Master.  
lol!  

Tuesday's Cheese:
This class continued to be a learning experience about the types of details that are useful and those that can be rabbit holes of uselessness.  Important reminders of not forgetting to sense the genre tree as possible within the streaming experience.  It is very interesting to watch these "characters" come to life as we do the detective work. You really begin to empathize with them and have a deeper connection....which makes it easier to step into their skin when it comes to the application in our work.

THE BIG CHEESE
Some overall big learnings so far in this class
1) Relaxation is important!! Without this important first step, the cognitive mind will dominate and prevent true discoveries
2) The imaging sticks!! Even as an observer, listening to others as they stream their imaging work, vivid details are formed and locked into my mind and exemplifies how, once you have done the important imaging steps, much easier it is to return to the "dreamscape" to make discoveries.
3) Streaming without a script can be hard!! It also gets locked in how character discoveries without the script can be challenging...but again...glad Jon had us approach it this way.  When we get to the scriptural application (get it? jocolor ) the process should be even more guided and "easy". (he says loosely until he has full comprehension)
4) Streaming can be fun!!  As with any artistic venture, the fun begins after the hard work of technique.  I still don't have "fun" marking beats in a script or beating out notes and rhythms when learning a new song....but once that is done....the fun you can have is multiplied...so do it Matt!! study

I could probably go on, but sadly have to return to the day job  Crying or Very sad ....for which I'm grateful santa !  Sincere thanks again to Jon and to everyone.  You....light up my life...You give me hope to carry on!   You light up my days and fill my nights with song! afro

joycewood likes this post

Jonmenick

Penultimate Class...Penultimate Post Empty Re: Penultimate Class...Penultimate Post

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 am
Your eternal goodness and loving nature are always evident. You are such a worthwhile person. Thank you for being my friend.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum