Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Jeanne O.

Improv., Wed., 6/17/20 Empty Improv., Wed., 6/17/20

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:57 pm
"Sensory doesn't exist in isolation." Quote from Jon.
Stillness, relatability (to your partner), and receptivity allow things to happen. Let imagery bloom.
Be relaxed. Let it happen. Don't plan.
Outside is different. It represents our desires which have nothing to do with the openness and vulnerability we must have
for intimacy between self and partner. Don't TRY to DO anything. You feel it and when you do, you'll know.

Things to not do: Don't subjugate yourself. Stay in the moment.

The Exercise:
These were the steps as I finally understood them:
Deep (relaxing) breath
Tap Head.
Say aloud, "I wonder what I hear (or am hearing)" and wait for a song.
When heard, move RIGHT finger to tempo of the song simultaneously rocking and humming.
Receptive partner rocks body and RIGHT finger in time with the Transmitting partner.
Receptive partner begins to hum.
Transmitting partner passes task off to the recipient when it is sensed that the recipient is "tied in."
I thought that recipient was supposed to hum as well and could change the "tune."

Thin space or thin line: That place where one is at one's olympic best.

I'm reading several books to better help me understand what's learned in class. Whenever possible, I buy them used on Amazon. You may be interested:
Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting by Syd Field. Recommended to me by Jon. Excellent for script analysis.
The French Lieutenant's Woman and other screenplays ( Langrishe, Go Down, and The Last Tycoon) by Harold Pinter. Also recommended to me by Jon
Five Screenplays by Harold Pinter (The Servant, The Pumpkin Eater, The Quiller Memorandum, Accident, The Go-Between)
How to Make Yur Audience Fall in Love with You by Deryn Warren. The stupid title belies the seriousness and value of the contents. The book is excellent.
Its subheading: "Expert Advice on Acting Technique. Script Analysis & Taking Risks"
ACTIONS The Actors' Thesaurus by M Caldarone & M. Lloyd Williams
In Script Analysis, Jon taught us to thinks about the many definitions of an action. Don't assume it's meant to be the first one that comes to mind.
William Shakespeare, The Complete Works

There are a couple more, but I haven't read them yet and will reserve recommendations until I do.

The challenges I'm having in class are due to poor wifi reception. Many times, the sound goes wonky. Words and whole sentences are often missed.
I rely on watching others go before me to be sure I understand what I'm supposed to do. I mistook a direction for a gesture). I didn't hear that
we were to say aloud, "I wonder what I am hearing." The visual is okay, but Jorga''s finger (? sp) was outside the frame some of the time, so I moved
my finger to the rhythm of her rocking when that happened.

Jonmenick

Improv., Wed., 6/17/20 Empty Re: Improv., Wed., 6/17/20

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:41 am
Ask Chris Fuller on some solutions to strengthen your Wi-Fi.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum