Screen Artists Co-op
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
EvelynLeTeshia
EvelynLeTeshia

Class on Wednesday 6/17/20 Empty Class on Wednesday 6/17/20

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:58 pm
A. What did you learn (specifically)?

1. Something inside organically and genuinely creates something on the outside.
2. Let imagery and memory bloom.
3. The finger is NECESSARY!
4. Don't plan; things happen to you in real time.
5. You have to believe that something will be there.
6. Don't worry or squeeze  your butt too hard.
7. Nothing releases if you don't relax.
8. Everything is generated from your inner world to create your outer world.

Exercise Steps --->
a) Deep inhale to exhale
b) Tap RIGHT finger to temple and ask, "what do I hear?"
c) Focus on song in your head
d) Once you hear the song, start rocking your body to the rhythm
e) Visibly hold finger outward and tap to the rhythm of the song
f) Start humming to rhythm of song
g) Keep going until your partner "picks up" the rhythm and you can "hand off" to them and fade out

B. How did the learning affect me?

The learning allowed me slow down and truly listen and take in my environment before starting.

C. Did Jon say anything quotable?

"You don't have to be stiff in this. You're just listening; you have to come in being at your best!"

ADDITIONAL NOTE

To clear up any misconceptions or confusion, I would like to clarify the feedback that I gave Jon per his request about Wednesday's class. Prior to this course beginning, I spoke with Jon privately, and his expectation of me is to allow myself to be completely open and feel like his class is a "safe" learning environment with my thoughts and actions to be welcomed. As I told Jon then, and I will say again now, as long as the environment reflects the "safety" so stated, I have never and will never have an issue stating my thoughts/actions/fears/concerns/etc.

I have a very clear vision of the career I want to cultivate for myself, and expanding my learning and continuously working on my craft is one sure fire way to get me closer to that vision. As it pertains to learning, I don't ASSUME anything! If I am unclear about the directions or what i'm hearing, I ask questions not only for understanding/clarification but also to solidify/reinforce the content in my brain. My asking questions is NEVER to challenge/argue with the instructor or to be the "trouble kid!" That being said, when I was simply asking for clarification of the exercise rules and was told "I'm not going to argue with you about it," that quickly took away the "safety" of the environment, made me upset that once again I'm being painted as something I'm not (argumentative),  and left me confused on how can I possibly take a course where I'm supposed to learn, but I can't ask questions..........

Once I was able to speak up about my feelings/thoughts at the end of class, again per Jon's request, I felt the situation was handled. I understand that some people in the class have been previous students of Jon's, however what I don't need is anyone instructing me on HOW I should learn or defending Jon's teaching methods or character. Trust me! I've done my research prior to agreeing to joining this class, and I've seen Jon's previous works, credits, etc including that AMAZING actor's reel on his facebook page, and I would not be here if I didn't believe I could learn a wealth of knowledge from him and use his expertise to guide me on this long journey!

Also, from the first interaction with Jon up until this point, his character has been very consistent and forthcoming, and he does not intimidate me (which no one does) at all. If anything, it makes me respect him even more because I can't stand fake, fickle people!!!!!

Going forward, I hope this gives a little more insight on the type of person (especially learner) that I am, and as long as this remains a "safe" learning environment, I will, when asked, continue to be open with my responses. All I ask is that people truly listen to understand and not to defend because if not, it will be a long 8 weeks otherwise!

Last edited by EvelynLeTeshia on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonmenick

Class on Wednesday 6/17/20 Empty Re: Class on Wednesday 6/17/20

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:57 am
Thank you for a complete post. In the end, you are doing your part in class and here on the forum. As much as possible let us move toward removing as many eggshells as possible. As we begin to know each other, and you get to know those in class, perhaps some of all of our boundaries will begin to flex a bit. I am glad that you are here.

EvelynLeTeshia likes this post

EvelynLeTeshia
EvelynLeTeshia

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm
Thanks Jon; will definitely do, and the post heading should have said "Wednesday" instead of "Tuesday!" lol
nessnowik

Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:59 pm
Hi Evelyn, great post! I too identify with a lot of what you're saying and the last thing I want to do is be misunderstood. That said, I really wish I could've been in Blocks and Fears with you, we had the opportunity to get to know one another in our rawest form, regardless of how uncomfortable it made us feel. I can already tell that you've got a firm grasp of yourself, something that I have suffered with in the past and even now. I feel like I can learn a lot from you so I'm looking forward to getting to know you more as a person and as an actor! Smile Ness

EvelynLeTeshia
EvelynLeTeshia

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:48 pm
Sounds like a great plan Ness! See you in class! Very Happy
laurenrivas

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 am
I have really enjoyed our short time together, Evelyn- this is an awesome post! Looking forward to many more hours learning together. This is probably weird but I love the way your voice sounds! Very easy to listen to you speak, which is great for an actor!

EvelynLeTeshia
EvelynLeTeshia

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm
Thank you for the compliment Lauren! I've been told that quite often especially since high school where we would have to read aloud in my English class. I would end up reading almost the entire novel because my classmates loved me doing so , and our teacher didn't mind. It's one of the reasons I'm going to do my own podcast one day and why I've spoken to Jon about my desires to get into voice acting!

Shannonigans likes this post

laurenrivas

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:05 pm
You totally should!

Good contacts for VO:
Marissa Blake (you have probably heard her voice without even knowing!)
Stephanie Morgan (singer/songwriter/overall badass and a co op member!!)

Both on FB, both pay their bills with VO and offer very affordable classes and also coaching
tell em I sent you!

Shannonigans and EvelynLeTeshia like this post

Shannonigans

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:12 pm
Stealing those contacts for myself as well. I'm also working toward voice acting Evelyn. We should definitely try to connect outside of class! Smile

EvelynLeTeshia and laurenrivas like this post

EvelynLeTeshia
EvelynLeTeshia

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:52 pm
Awesome! Thanks Lauren! Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum